April 12, 19, 26 and May 3
Meeting ID: 852 7336 8955
Call in: 929-436-2866
The Rev. Lawrence A. Jones, D.Min. will lead a four-part class on prayer, starting April 12 from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. over Zoom. The outline for the class is as follows:
Week 1: What is Prayer? To Whom Do We Pray?
- Is prayer just a form of wishing or begging or bribing or reminding?
- What prayer is depends on who we conceive God to be.
Week 2: The Occasions on Which We Pray and the Types of Prayer We Use
- When do we pray, and why? And when we pray, how do we pray?
- Is there a wrong or a right way to pray?
Week 3: Praying Privately or with Another
- If we pray privately, are we just whistling into the wind?
- If we pray with another, are we trying to be “holier than thou”?
- Who do we think we are, praying with and for another person?
Week 4: Problems in Prayer and the Examples Jesus Set
- Knocking with Bloody Knuckles on a Door that Won’t Open
- The Emptiness of Unanswered Prayer
- Archbishop of Canterbury William Temple: When I pray, coincidences happen.
- The only two prayers Jesus publicly commended